Friday, July 19, 2013

"... here is where the world ends, every time."

If you're not familiar with Brian Turner, you should be.  Turner, in my opinion, captures the essence of the many emotions a Soldier feels in combat.  I've read quite a bit of literature stemming from armed conflict over the last couple hundred years, my hope is we'll be reading Turner's poems in school fifty years from now when we talk about the nearly decade long war in Iraq.

"... here is where the world ends, every time." is the last line of his poem, "Here, Bullet."



This is an hour long interview.  I think the interviewer is annoying, but Turner's responses are candid and spot-on.  He talks a lot about identity.  Meaning, what it was like being a poet, and, Soldier.  I loved his response to a question about Brian the poet and Sgt. Turner the squad leader.  He also talks about how the war improved his writing- what do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment