Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Fairbanks Summer Arts Festival


I'm having a blast at the Fairbanks Summer Arts Festival this week.  I was very hesitant at first to sign up for a two week long workshop.  Last week I struggled over the money and the time.  After finally settling into a nice routine of writing, running, and reading- I upset that routine with the final decision to attend the creative writing portion of the FSAF: no regrets.  The compromise was I signed up for just the first week.  It's been great.  I get to work with: Peggy Shumaker, a poet whose work I greatly admire and quickly learned to love after moving to Alaska but with a new appreciation I've found her stuff transcends just the Alaska experience and speaks to many feelings and issues in the world and in ourselves;  Daryl Farmer a writing teacher I've had the honor of working with the past two semesters at UAF, a fantastic teacher who always has something to teach you through examples of what good writing is, along with inquiry and just the right prompting; and two new teachers Rob Davidson (fiction) and Jeanne Clark (poetry), both from Chico State, and both spectacularly insightful teachers, writers, and warm people to have around.  Rob has showed me the power of good exposition, I can't wait to have a conference with him Friday.  And Jeanne has taught me several new forms (some which might appear on the blog once I do a little revision).

It's also been great getting to know more writers from the Fairbanks community.  Despite being at all levels of writing in our lives, it has been a great time of sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment