Sunday, June 19, 2011

Life Begins Again And Again


This is a piece written by my grandmother, Better Tarbell Barten.  It was published in Flutterbyes, a compilation of prose and poetry from the East Aurora Writers Guild.

Does life begin when the doctor grabs you by the heels and whacks you on the back­side? Or, as some believe, at the time of conception? Or did it start eons ago and will it go from here into eternity?
If the beginning is the living and breathing as we earthlings know it, doesn't it start when the body and mind are able to feel joys, heartache, sorrow and happiness? Or on some special day, marked by an occur­rence that changes our whole life, our thinking -- maybe an occurrence over which we have no control.
For a person to travel through this world and not have life begin again and again is a sad commentary for use of the heart.
In looking back fifty years or more, I feel life begins all over for me whenever I hear the laughter of little children, or hold a squirming puppy. Or when I waken from a nap and hear a kitten purring at my feet.
As my mind wanders down lanes of the past, I recall my 16th birthday. I returned from the store, turned on the light and twenty people hollered, "Surprise."
The world was my 'oyster' then, making each day a new beginning. I had that first date with the "unattainable guy" -- so through the years I have come to know the love of a very good man.
Even the hard times made life begin again -- like when the anesthetic wore off and I heard the doctor say, "Everything is fine, the lump was benign.
Then, as I held each of our children for the first time, I knew God had given treasures beyond description and the s shone gloriously on all our days.
Each child slipped into a place of his or her own -- their first smiles, their firs steps, their first days at school.
And family camping! Every day a new beginning there as the coffee perked, the bacon fried and the kids rolled out of their sleeping bags. Many happy hours were spent this way as the years raced into yesterdays.
The high school graduations came rapidly into focus and went on to the college ones, the weddings and then the delightful grand­children snuggling contentedly on my shoulder.
When my husband is two hours late coming from work, then walks in unharmed from his day in the city, life starts anew.
It keeps on its beginning course when, only half awake in the early morn, the sun­beams dance across my bed, bounce off the wall and come to rest on my eyelids.
I hear a bird belting out a song after a spring rain as I walk down the streets of our village, suddenly realizing I know so many friendly people just from living here so long.
Hope is always a beginning and it is hope that makes me think my rainbow is near and I will be profiting from all the showers.
Finally, life begins again when I real­ize I am the "older" generation and it doesn't bother me a bit. I’ve made those longed-for trips to far-away places. I have stopped fighting myself, knowing deep down of my own insignificance in this vast universe of souls.
ME isn't the important part of living, even living isn't the most important thing.
As I talk to God, life begins again in my heart. It makes me know that when this life ends, I will be leaving the world a better place. And, for the next step into eternity,
that is a good beginning.

2 comments:

  1. Sam, I love that you are using your blog. I check my gmail and blog pretty frequently, hoping for signs of life, but haven't seen anything until now. I enjoyed your grandmother's piece. Thanks for sharing it. I'm going to read it to my mother, when she's in the mood to listen.

    I don't remember your itinerary, but it seems you were traveling a while before heading to the Himalayas. What a divine adventure you are embarking on. It will change you in so many ways, obvious and invisible. I just returned from my California trip. Hated to return so quickly, but had to get home to take care of Mama while her caregiver is visiting her home in the Philippines.

    I am writing in my head, but nothing in print so far. I did receive a very supportive reaction from my oldest and dearest friend, which is encouraging, and from my husband as well. I am still longing for the comfort and creative inspiration the institute provided. I still miss the I individuals, too. I have found myself to be a bit emotional since Homer. I wonder if anyone else has has the same experience.

    I am building a pile of duplicate books and other resources I think you may find useful. I'll send them to your school address when they reach a critical mass. :^)

    Give my regards to your fine companion through life, Gretchen. It is a quite a remarkable thing, really, to share a lifetime of experience with another human being, especially given the richness of the experiences you are choosing. My path has been somewhat more singular, which works for me, though I'm not sure why that is.

    Gotta get my mom ready to go get a haircut. This should be interesting, as are all our outings. I'm never sure who shell be from day to day!

    Blessings,

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pardon my typos. I tried to edit, but couldn't figure out how to scroll through the text.

    ReplyDelete