Sunday, June 19, 2011

Grammies Requiem

You taught me the love of a grandparent,
            And the meaning of being a true friend.

You showed me the passion that came in serving others,
            Opening your heart to never shutting the door.

You taught me the meaning of a veterans memorial,
            And the honor in a bugles last call.

You’ve shown me the strength to prevail,
            Even as the world went out of focus around you.

You taught me big things come in small packages,
            And to look for the moments that make up a day.           

You showed us the power of partnership,
            In the never ceasing love of a spouse.

In repose you left an unfillable void,
            Yet I know you look into the eyes of our creator.

But what will I teach my children, the ones you won’t get to meet-
           
To never loose your dignity,
            And always, always leave a legacy. 


by Samuel Cain Chamberlain




1 comment:

  1. Sam, I didn't know you were dealing with the death of your grandmother such a short time before the writing institute. You are such a strong young man! She must have been so very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete