Sunday, November 1, 2015

"Randolph" published in Verdad Magazine


I often wonder what the guys from my unit are doing. How they're faring. What they're feeling. Where they're at in the reconciliation process that takes a lifetime to complete after war. 

"Randolph" began with an autobiographical fiction character and a semi-autobiographical experience, set in a landscape to which I've always been drawn. This was the second story I wrote in my two years studying creative writing in Pacific University's MFA program. This story took me two years to write as I whittled away flab, excess, and needless sentences getting in the way of what I wanted to express: not all soldiers feel like heroes; not all soldiers come home proud; not all soldiers are brave, and often, their anti-bravery in all actuality took more courage than not. 

Having "Randolph" published in Verdad is extra special because I share this issue with one of my teachers, David Long. David was my first semester advisor. Working with him was like basic training. He was tough, real tough, but he taught me things about writing I'll never forget. One of my favorite shorts by David was published in a previous edition of Verdad, "Concrete."

This issue of Verdad also features poetry from Doug Anderson. A Viet Nam War veteran and poet I deeply admire. His collection The Moon Reflected Fire is an incredible witness of his war experience.





No comments:

Post a Comment